Tuesday 22 April 2008

Finally!

Well, it's been a year in the making, but I've completed the 'Baby's Top with Moss Stitch Trim' from Debbie Bliss's Step by Step Knitting Workbook at last.  And learnt an object lesson, too.  Your tension changes in a year which means that the front doesn't exactly match the back.  I didn't discover this until making up (despite having been measuring all the way through and having done the relevant swatch etc).  So I had to fudge it a bit with the sewing.  It's a little untidy, but it's my first ever attempt at a proper garment (other than the Elizabeth Zimmerman jacket which I've yet to finish because the zip still hasn't arrived) and I don't think it's too terrible.  I probably ought to have restarted bits of it, but I'm terrified of the whole thing unravelling if I do so I tend to avoid the whole frogging thing.  If anyone has any tips for how to do this with any degree of alacrity I'll be most grateful!

Anyhow, here it is:



It really is nowhere near as blue as that photo suggests. It's a gorgeous shade of teal (and the yarn is Debbie Bliss's Cashmerino - beautiful stuff, very soft).  It's pinned at the bottom because it keeps curling up which will teach me to substitue yarns I suppose (the pattern calls for cotton). But, anyhow, it's done, and should look nice on Imogen which is the main thing.

Speaking of Imogen, I really ought to make mention of my fabulous doula without whom she probably wouldn't be here. Well, she would, but it would have been an awful lot less pleasant/easy getting her here. You really ought to check out her website.  She even has a photo of Imogen on there - how cool is that?  If you want to know more about doulas, then check out this which will tell you all you need to know.

No comments: